Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ex Delicto Chapter 15

I think I need to clear up my comment about Jacob. While he won't be participating in a love triangle, that doesn't mean he'll be a likeable character. I actually don't hate Jake in the Saga like some people do, but I haven't yet found a place for him to be a nice guy in one of my stories.

Now, on to Charlie.


CPOV

I was so close to proving obstruction of justice, which not only carried a longer statute, but was considered a new act each and every time Edward appealed and was denied. New evidence was paramount in his case, and was sitting there in the old file box all along. Not coming forward when you have first hand knowledge is equal to obstruction. I was also looking into tampering with evidence and leading a witness, as well as planting a relative into a correctional institution to control the only person who could smash the entire case wide open.

I would settle for littering if I had to, but that didn't carry a prison sentence. I needed to put him away, for Lauren, for Edward, for my daughter. For the entire city of Seattle, that looked to those with a badge as authority to trust with their well being. I would not stand for having a monster on my police force.

I could see the look in my daughter's eyes as she spoke of Edward. She was falling for him, and as a father I was worried that she had a need to fix the broken boy he'd been. I worried that he was only interested in her because he wanted to repay her for getting him his life back. I had no doubt that he could be an upstanding citizen, I just didn't know what issues he may have buried deep down inside of him; they could come spilling out all over Bella. She shouldn't have to endure that.

When my intel informed me of Newton's whereabouts, I had Peter accompany me on a stroll through downtown. I spotted him exiting the bar and fell in step alongside him.

"I want to make sure you and I are on the same page," I said without preamble.

He looked over at me, recognition and annoyance on his hard face. "What page would that be, Commissioner?"

"That this entire city is watching you. That every officer, meter maid, and certainly my personal aides, want to make sure you are good and safe."

"That's illegal. You can't harass me-"

"Not harassment," I interrupted mildly. "As your superior, I have the authority to keep my eye on you."
We both stopped walking, and he flicked a nervous glance at Pete. "Wherever you go, we have your back."

I turned and walked away with my deputy chief, not sparing a backwards look at the man that I was determined would be arrested by the end of the month.

BPOV

I'd agreed to meet Edward for drinks at a restaurant in the city. His parents' house was in the suburbs, but he insisted he would do the driving and come to me. I think he had a not so secret need to get out of the house and be independent.

With Ben by my side, I entered the quiet Mexican restaurant and my eyes roamed the bar for Edward.

He stood when he spotted me, his coppery hair glinting under the soft lighting.

With Edward standing in front of me, I scarcely acknowledged Ben as he muttered that he would sit at the other end of the bar. Tall, wearing a black button down with the sleeves rolled up, his bright eyes seared into my own. He leaned down to brush his lips against my cheek, smelling musky and delicious.

I swallowed dryly before greeting him; apparently the only moisture to be found was currently pooling between my thighs.

"You look lovely, Bella."

Yeah, that smooth voice was going to do me in.

I cleared my throat. "Thank you. You look very nice in that shirt." He blushed as we sat in a booth, and I smiled at him.

"Better than the denim button down I owned for ten years, no?" He returned my smile wholeheartedly.

"Indeed." I placed my drink order with the waitress while Edward ordered an appetizer.

"Would you mind staying for dinner? I forgot to eat lunch today." He gave me an endearing puppy dog look, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Of course, what girl would give that up for a nuked meal alone?" I fidgeted with my napkin. "What have you been up to that had you skipping a meal?"

"I'm currently spending three days a week at IP, so I went apartment hunting today."

He had such a sour look on his face that I tried to reassure him. "We talked about the job starting out as part time, remember?"

Edward nodded. "That's not the problem." He looked at his hands, long fingers folded together on the table top. "There was this woman today. She had a one bedroom near the back of her rental properties.
She was interested in renting to me until I showed her my paperwork."

I sighed heavily, worried for him. He had a stack of paperwork signed and notarized, stating that he'd had a reversal of his verdict. It was tantamount to being innocent, so she had no legitimate reason for turning him away, other than the fact that she was obviously being discriminatory.

"Do you need me to file a complaint against her? I'll be happy to."

"No, I can't have you fighting my battles for me my whole life. I'll move on and find something else." It wasn't said unkindly, yet I felt stung.

"Is that what you think? That I emasculate you because I can fix some things through the court system? If you were a doctor, would I be pissed because you have the ability to give me a prescription when I'm sick?"

"Well, we won't ever know, will we?" There was venom this time, in his voice and his demeanor as he sat back away from me.

"That's not fair, not to me or to yourself." I stared Edward down, watching as he stared back for several seconds, his shoulders stiff as he crossed his arms over his chest. I saw in his eyes the moment he relented; there was a softening in his gaze, the color lightening from the intense dark green it had been.

"I apologize, Bella. It was rude of me, but it's hard. I can't help but think how it would be if I'd finished med school and become a doctor. I wouldn't be living with my parents and borrowing their car, and I wouldn't be begging anyone to rent a tiny apartment to me, the ex con."

He leaned his elbows onto the table, scrubbing his fingertips over his eyelids. "My therapist and I are working on my issues of anger with the system that you hold so dear. I know that law, and of course order," he smirked, "are important to you, and I respect that. It did get me released in the long run." He shook his head ruefully. "The very long run."

"You can always be honest with me, even if you think it might hurt my feelings. I can handle it, I have two big brothers." I smiled gently at him. "I understand your feelings of frustration, don't ever think I don't."

"I don't want to disrespect you, I just don't think my girlfriend jumping in to save the day because someone declined to rent to me is a good idea."

My cheeks felt hot at him calling me his girlfriend. "How about your lawyer filing charges of discrimination with the housing authority?"

"Nope. I'll admit that it bothered me at the time, but I'm over it now."

We stopped talking when the waitress came with the nachos Edward had ordered, and I laughed when he dug in. "Save some for me," I joked.

He blushed again, and I laughed harder. "Do you want some?" he said around a mouthful of cheese.

I couldn't speak, I was laughing so hard. I shook my head vigorously, gulping my water. "You look like you're really enjoying them."

"There's just some things I missed, so much." He moaned as he took another bite, and all laughter died in my throat. I took in the flushed face, the bright eyes shining with excitement, his long fingers as he wiped his mouth with his napkin. The mouth was another story altogether. I had more than once pictured his lips and tongue on various part of my body. I shifted, squirming in my seat. My skirt rode up my thighs as I moved, and I tugged it back down to my knees. I took a deep breath and focused back on the menu.

"You eat as much as you want, I'm going to order a normal dinner."

He grinned and grabbed my hand on top of the table. "Thank you for being so supportive and understanding of me."

"Always." I smiled at him as I put aside any lustful feelings to just enjoy dinner with my new boyfriend.


I've had the honor of making it to the 2nd round of the TFFA awards. If you feel so inclined, please vote for me in the favorite newbie category. My other story, Jack & Crush, is also up for drop everything fic. Your support means the world to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment