Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ex Delicto Chapter 18

Frank Farmer is Kevin Costner's character in The Bodyguard. Just so you understand the reference.


I spent Saturday at the office, which was quite unfortunate. At least the security detail during the weekend did not include Jacob Black. So far Charlie hadn't been able to replace him, which was such a disappointment. The building where my office was located had a security guard, so the officer on my detail stayed outside in the car, with a clear line of sight to the door. Brady was the name of the young guy on duty until four, when I was determined to leave and spend an entire evening with Edward. I'd invited him to my place for the first time, and I was nervous and excited and scared to death.

I was able to catch up on almost all of my work for the week before I gave it up. Brady and Randall were waiting for me just outside the front doors, and Brady went back to the station to write up his report for the day. I could only guess that 'sat in car bored out of my skull' was not what he was supposed to write. Randall was a decent guy, but he was very stiff and not what I would call friendly. I asked him to drive me to the grocery, and he insisted on coming in with me. Good thing the city was big enough that there really wasn't too much gossip, or the biddies would swear I was sleeping around.

I pushed the cart around the produce aisles, trying to make small talk with the man that shadowed me like the secret service with a president. He wouldn't engage. When I spotted Liam down the cereal aisle and he came up to us, Randall put up a hand to stop him.

"Liam! Nice to see you," I said, as Randall put his hand on Liam's arm and practically patted him down.

"Uh, yeah." He looked at me, then Frank Farmer.

"Christ, stand down, Randall. He's a friend with the IP." I took Liam's arm myself and steered him halfway down the aisle, while Randall frowned after us.

"They're still following you around?" Liam questioned.

"Yeah, and he makes a terrible Kevin Costner. Listen, I got a victim statement yesterday, she's going to ID our guy."

"Really?" He grimaced. "He's still active, that hurts to think about."

I nodded. "I know. No telling how many he's done this to over the years. Dad is going to pull him in Monday morning under other pretenses, then get him in a room with a two way. The victim's terrified, he threatened her child."

"Well, hell. I'll keep it to myself."

"Do that, but hey, you can tell Leah privately."

"I will. Good job, Bella."

I smiled and we said our goodbyes. I went back to the cart and addressed Lurch. "Look, I know you're only the weekend second shift, but this is my life, and I'm trying to live as normally as possible. Can you just relax a notch?"

He looked at me carefully, like he was scrutinizing me. "No," came his impassive response.

Okay, then. At least he wasn't hitting on me.

He drove us home and carried my bags upstairs, so there was that. He refused my invitation to come inside, so I reminded him I was expecting company at six and to maybe not frisk Edward.

I worked to put together a salad and chicken piccata, and just as I slid the skillet in the oven to keep warm, there was a knock on the front door followed by Randall opening it and Edward stepping in. He was carrying a bottle of white wine and a bouquet of yellow gladiolus.

"He's been cleared, ma'am."

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" I exclaimed as the door closed. I rushed to Edward, accepting the flowers first, then kissing him on the cheek.

"Cujo is, uh, great." He graced me with his crooked grin.

"Wasn't Cujo a possessed dog?" I asked as he followed me to the kitchen. I laid the flowers down on the counter while I looked for a vase.

"I have no idea. I hope you like white," he said as he offered me the wine bottle.

"Of course. It'll go perfect with dinner."

I busied myself with filling the vase with water and flowers, and Edward put the wine in the fridge. He leaned against the counter nearest to me, crossing his ankles and watching me.

"What?" I asked self-consciously. His presence was overwhelming my kitchen.

"It's been a long time since I've seen you. I'm reacquainting myself with your beautiful features."

Heat rushed to my cheeks at such a compliment, then I chuckled. "We just had dinner Wednesday."

"That was last week, Bella. Ten days ago."

I stopped fussing around. "Are you sure?" I looked at the calendar on my little desk in the corner. "Shit. I guess I have been too busy." The heavy weight of guilt pulled down on my shoulders. I wanted to spend more time with him, but I just hadn't had the chance.

Edward stepped up to me, his long fingers threading through my hair as he tilted my face. "I was hoping for a proper kiss, one that says you've missed me as much as I've missed you."

I had, of course, missed him tremendously. My body trembled in anticipation as he lowered his head, his eyes burning into mine throughout the descent. I could smell his cologne, and something that reminded me of sunshine. His eyelids drifted shut just as his lips touched mine. The jolt of the contact shot through my system, and suddenly it had been way too long as he caressed my cheeks with his fingers, lips and tongue showing me how much he missed me. He tasted like home to me as I opened for him, pressing against his height and wishing I wasn't so short. I wanted to feel every inch of his body against my own. The need to be naked under this man was overwhelming, but I was afraid to rush him. We hadn't been dating very long at all, but that didn't change the way I wanted him.

I broke away from his mouth, panting for breath. "I am so turned on by you," I mumbled, my eyes closing against the almost embarrassing rush of emotions. A tear slipped unbidden from the corner of my eye, and I felt his gentle touch as he kissed it away.

"Why are you crying, sweet Bella?" he said tenderly.

"I don't know," I whispered. "I can't put into words what I feel for you." I opened my eyes, and he stood there, patiently looking at me. "I want- I want to tear your clothes off and have my way with you, taking you so deep inside me that you'll never forget that's where you belong." I heard his sharp intake of breath. "I want to never make you feel like you're not in control of yourself again, because that was taken away from you once, and you've paid long enough. I want to hold you close and be your best friend, letting you tell me all of your secrets. I want to tell you what I'm afraid of and let you comfort me. I want to comfort you when you have nightmares, instead of hearing from your mother that she thinks you still have them."

"That's a lot to infer from one kiss." He leaned in and kissed me again, this time with a searing intensity.

His hands molded themselves to my shoulders, roaming over my back as we pressed together. I ran my
hands down his arms to his hands, linking my fingers with his and bringing our joined hands to my breasts. I wanted him to know it was okay with me if he touched me there, if he wanted to progress this thing we had.
My veins were on fire, the surface of my skin hot enough to combust. Everything surged inside of me, my desire heightening as he stroked over my tightened nipples.

"Bella," his voice was throaty, giving away his own emotions. "I want the same things as you. I want to wake up in your arms, to comfort your fears until you have nothing left to be afraid of." He pressed gentle, open mouthed kisses to my throat. His lips trailed down my chest, covering the area exposed around my shirt. I gripped him tightly, desperate to be closer.

"Should we…" I trailed off.

He raised his head, the need obvious on his face. He silently nodded in answer to my question.


Sorry to cockblock, but it didn't flow with it all together.
I have to admit, I'm still riding high from Sunday's win. I love you all for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment