Friday, October 6, 2017

Right Where I Want to Be Chapter 28


I throw myself into looking for a place to buy for the dance studio. I call out sick to the club for three days in a row, ignoring the angry voicemails from Jacob. I can’t stomach the idea of being there, of picturing Edward there, or having other men watch me dance half naked. My heart is no longer in my job the way it used to be, which is all the more reason to find a prime location for my new venture.

When I find the perfect place in a busy strip mall, I call Rose to come and look at it with me. She watches me like a hawk as we circle the large space and I ignore her as I picture setting up the poles, the dressing rooms, and a reception area. The floors are very nice, and there’s already track lighting that won’t get in the way of the poles. She agrees that the place is perfect, and we put in our offer. The realtor leaves, and Rose turns to me as I knew she would.

“Spill it, Swan. You’re not sick, so why haven’t you been at work?” Her hands are on her hips, and she taps her nails against her belt.

“I don’t care what Jake says about me, he can even fire me now if he wants to.”

“That’s a great way to avoid my question.”

“Fuck, Rose.” Tears prick my eyes again, but I’m so sick of crying. “Edward broke up with me.”

“What? Were you even a committed couple?”

“We weren't seeing other people, and he's obviously possessive. I told him how I feel, and he told me to leave.”

“Asshole! What the fuck?” I appreciate Rose’s loyalty, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

“He has issues, clearly. One of them being that he can’t commit. So, you know, I’ll go back to my plans of setting this place up and stop thinking about him. Like you said, I confused good dick for love.”

I turn away from her and head out to my car without waiting to hear what she has to say. And if I cry the entire way home, that’s nobody’s business but my own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment